Foolscape sheets

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

How to Stop Traffic on a busy Bangalore Road!

Many-a-times,I seem to hurry through my life, without any need to do so. One such day, coming to office I found my usual way to office blocked, and took a by-lane that reaches right in front of my office, but on the other side of a one-way arterial road.

Richmond Road is infamous in Bangalore for its frenzied hysterical traffic. There are buses, trucks, cars and scooters, bikes and autos, taxis and ambulances tearing down the downslope to reach the other end of the world. Most of the drivers are polite enough not to hit a pedestrain trying to cross this road for the last 15 mintues, but sometimes you feel that this is only by chance and not by intent. If someone wanted to prove the big-bang thoery of the creation of the universe true, he could draw analogies from the way these vehicles shoot from the 'touchline', as the signal turns green. I am ready to bet all my life savings, which by the way arent much, on the fact that all the proverbial chickens would have found this road uncrossable.

Taking another short cut in life, I tried driving in the wrong direction, and then joining the direction of the traffic, changing lanes and reaching my office. A few meters ahead, I discovered a police-wala smiling at me.
I tried to explain him my position but he didnt seem to listen. Not to be put off, I decided to be persistent and forced my words into his ears. Slowly it dawned on me, that he doesnt have a hole through his head, its just that he cant speak or understand Hindi and English - Kannada only. And my knowledge of Kannada is restricted to two words I say with utter conviction - Kannada Gottilla!

It was a difficult situation. I couldnt explain to him why I tried to drive on the wrong side, and negotiate some sympathy. He couldnt listen to me, or explain to me that all he is wants me to do is to keep my mouth shut and bribe him. A friendly neighbourhood kannadiga came to the rescue.

It is widely believed that Indians invented zero, but the way we abuse it is phenomenal. The policeman asked for 500, knowing very well that he will be happy to get 50. And I wasnt ready to give up even Rs 5, if I am to stand on the same side of the road with my bike. We negotiated the amount, through our friendly neighbourhood Kannadiga friend, who must have felt like one of those TV news investigators, who is in the midst of a bribe scene with a hidden camera!

Being the MBA that I am, we figured out a win-win situation. I paid the crook Rs 50, and pronto, he ran up to the middle of the road, right arm up, palm facing the traffic, the left holding a whistle to his mouth, making a shrill announcement to all the huge buses, cars and bikes to stop, right in the middle of the road, to allow a majestic Pulsar to pass straight through!

Who says "ki 50 rupaye mein to ab kuchh nahi hota!"

3 Comments:

  • 'O what a fall there was my countrymen...' Right from 500 to 50. And how sad the state of affairs..Petty corruption. :(

    Btw, completely agreed with demonsspeed...you must write regularly.

    By Blogger Shekhar, at 1:21 AM  

  • @demonsspeed
    Wanted to go through some arbit ideas, but cant find the pages...
    plan to be more fluent with my thoughts, but with road blocks like AHM, things are not going to be easy... hows life on your side of the world?

    By Blogger Mugs, at 3:13 AM  

  • a subtle satire marks your skills ..I can see reflections of Narayan in your writing ...its the Karnatak effect kya :) ??
    Wonderful work ..better than dal kchdi :).

    By Blogger Gauri Khare, at 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home